December 12, 2011

JAMES DEAN SUNDAY (FOR WHAT ITS WORTH) -- AND OTHER DISTRACTIONS


Thinking about the past on Sunday, December 11th 2011.

When I was about 10 years old I became an actress. A pretty bad one, to be honest. And when I first saw GIANT with James Dean, I thought I could one day be old enough for him to like me. I think I am old enough now. So I watched GIANT tonight and thought about my time with James.




Then I noticed this:

Giant (Stevens, 1956)

Days of Heaven (Malick, 1978)

Then I watched Badlands. Another house. And burning.

Badlands (Malick, 1973)

Then I remembered Sissy Spacek walking through fire.
Carrie (De Palma, 1976)


Then I looked at a lot of pictures of Sissy Spacek until i felt weird.

Badlands (Malick, 1973)


Then I ventured through the film archives until I ended up with this other dude who I really wanted to like me when I was 15.
By then I had figured out that I would never catch up with Al Pacino's age, and that I would have to compromise -- in reality I could only make him marry me once he'd be an almost 70 year old man.
Serpico (Lumet, 1973)




Then I was entirely happy and figured it was the right time to go to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment